Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Blind Emotion

Goosebumps, tears and that feeling you get when you know He's there. You know what I'm talking about. For me, I experience His presence the most during worship, whether that be in a public setting or when I'm jammin' alone in my car. That's where He impacts me the most. But why is that? Why am I only moved by the Lord when His presence effects me in a physical way? I've lately realized this is a widespread problem among Christians.

When we get caught up in our emotions, we expect Jesus to show up in a physical way. And we tend to get disappointed and discouraged when He doesn't. Satan tells us that Jesus doesn't hear us, doesn't care about us, or that maybe He isn't even real.

We've started basing everything we know about Jesus around when we feel His immediate presence. We live in a culture obsessed with instant gratification. Social media and texting are perfect examples. We never have to wait for anything. If we want it, we get it, but seeking Jesus is different. He calls us to be confident and still at His feet.

"As for me, I look to the Lord for help. I wait confidently for God to save me, and my God will certainly hear me." -Micah 7:7 NLT 

Earlier today when I sat down, before I typed a single word, I asked Jesus what He wanted me to write about. I heard Him say, "emotion." At first, I was confused and shocked that He would give me such a random and simple word. I think the Lord is trying to get us to hear His heart behind this subject. I think He wants us to shut our mouths and open our eyes to His presence all around us. I can only imagine how our blindness hurts. We have a GOOD father, who is eager to talk to us. Try taking a hike through the woods, having a sweet conversation with a new friend, or chasing the sunset. Slow down, and simply admire the beauty all around you. That beauty directly corresponds to His presence and pursuit of your heart. Jesus isn't only there when you get goosebumps.

Yes, we are called to walk through seasons of life where we can't feel Jesus, but we're also called to be devoted. Let's say goodbye to "Jesus highs" and say hello to being earnest and steadfast followers of Jesus even when we can't hear or feel Him. Lets take our emotions out of the equation, because in the end, it's not really even about us.

We're just simply missing it. Jesus has everything to tell us. When our ears are open to listening only when we feel His presence, we barely give Him a chance to speak.

I'm not trying to undermine the fact that, in my opinion, this is one of the hardest things to walk through. I've been there. I've been through seasons of life where I can't hear or feel Him, most of us have. But that's why we need to open up the conversation. That's why we need to walk through it together, as the Church. That's why we need to change our perspective.

"Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you." - James 4:8 NKJV


Song of the week:
Closer Than You Know - Hillsong UNITED

No comments:

Post a Comment